AI-generated artwork is a new but fast-growing field. In the cryptocurrency space, many high-priced NFTs (non-fungible tokens) are selling for millions of dollars. However, it’s also possible to buy AI-generated art at reasonable prices without using Ethereum or other cryptocurrencies. Art created by AI can also be made into framed, traditional-looking paintings as well as digital assets.
We are at the very beginning of the AI revolution and already a great deal of art is being created for fun as well as business. In this post, we’ll look at what AI art is, where you can buy it, and some of its uses. We’ll also review the best websites that showcase and sell AI art.
What is AI-Generated Art?
Throughout history, art was created by humans. In fact, the ability to create art (as well as tools) is considered one of the traits that are distinctly human. In the digital age, however, things are changing. Artificial intelligence can now create original art. AI uses sophisticated algorithms, devised using art from various styles across time periods and cultures, to create unique works of art.
Computer scientists, art historians, and others can debate if art generated by AI can ever match the scope and creativity of human-created art. There’s no doubt, however, that even at this early stage, AI is capable of producing artwork that’s interesting, diverse and, in many cases, impossible to distinguish as “artificial.”
History of AI Art
Using computers to make art isn’t new. In fact, early computers have been able to create art since the 1950s. However, the technology to create the kind of sophisticated pieces we’re seeing now didn’t really exist before the 2000s when Google engineer Alexander Mordvintsev created a program called Deep Dream that could generate a variety of abstract images.
AI art became more prestigious in 2018 when an AI portrait called “Edmond de Belamy” sold at Christie’s auction house in New York for over $400,000. Starting in 2020, as cryptocurrency and the blockchain took off, digital artists and celebrities began releasing NFTs, unique AI digital assets often sold for even larger amounts.
What is the Appeal of AI-Generated Art?
Why do people make and buy AI art? There are several reasons.
- It’s a new form of art. Some people like to be on the cutting edge and acquire the latest tech tools and products. If you’re interested in AI and technology, you’ll likely find it fascinating to investigate and perhaps buy artificially created art.
- It can be an economical way to buy art. While most of the publicity about AI art focuses on works that sell for millions, there are many much more affordable works also available. As the novelty wears off, we can expect more and more art in all price ranges.
- Useful for business. Art is used for commercial purposes, from paintings hung in corporate offices to website art. AI-generated art has the potential to be used for a variety of business purposes. As with any art, you have to make sure you have the appropriate permission or license to use AI-generated art commercially.
- It can be a good investment. Art has always been an attractive investment, often rising dramatically in value. Just as people have long invested in paintings and other works for future profit, so people today are investing in AI art in the hope that it will get more valuable. Since this is such a new field, it’s speculative but also exciting.
To give you an idea of what is happening with AI-generated art, let’s explore two marketplaces where you can buy and sell digital art.
Art AI bills itself as the world’s largest gallery of AI-generated art. Their online gallery has thousands of works in many styles, all completely generated by artificial intelligence. You can browse artwork in categories such as:
- Black & White
Receive Digital & Physical Art
NFTs have gotten lots of attention lately. These are strictly digital works. However, many art collectors still want physical art they can hang on their walls. Galleries such as Art AI sell framed canvases that look like traditional paintings. They also come with a high-resolution digital file of the artwork. Customers also get a Verisart Certificate of Authenticity, guaranteeing that the art is unique. Verisart, formed in 2015, uses a secure, blockchain-based process of certification to facilitate trust with online transactions.
In addition to enjoying the framed artwork, you can use the digital file to create items such as t-shirts, screensavers, face masks, and other personal items. Buying art doesn’t give you commercial rights, though. If you’re interested in obtaining commercial rights for any artwork, you can contact Art AI for more information.
The most expensive works of art always get the most publicity, of course. If you read about large purchases of AI art and NFTs, you might conclude that you need a large budget to acquire this type of art. If you browse the Art AI gallery, however, you’ll see that most of the work is quite reasonable. In fact, there are many works for under $100.
Buying this art is also quite simple. Unlike some exchanges, you don’t have to use cryptocurrency. You can buy art using a credit card or PayPal. Purchases come with a 30-day refund policy.
AI Art Shop is another online gallery that sells digital art. The site is set up in a similar way to Art AI, with a few features of its own.
Many Art Styles
AI Art Shop has categories that correspond to traditional art styles such as:
- Contemporary Art
Reasonable Prices and Free Shipping
If anything, AI Art Shop has even lower prices than Art AI, with many paintings starting at $30. Listed prices are for personal use only. You can inquire about commercial rights for any item.
You get free shipping in the US and UK. If you want to order from another country, you have to contact them for shipping costs. All art comes with a 15-day return policy.
Certificate of Authenticity
As with Art AI, all art sold by AI Art Shop comes with a Certificate of Authenticity supplied by Verisart. This company specializes in registering digital products on the blockchain, ensuring that ownership is verified.
The virtual showroom is a distinct feature of AI Art Shop. If you have a VR headset and accompanying app, you can view the digital artwork in a more realistic, gallery-like environment. You can move around the virtual space and see the art from different angles.
Comparing Art AI and AI Art Shop
Both Art AI Gallery and AI Art Shop have a large and growing selection of digital art for sale at reasonable prices. Both are backed by blockchain certification from Verisart. Here are a few distinctions to note.
Locations and Shipping Costs
Art AI is based in the United States and ships to the US, UK, EU, Canada, and Australia. Since art is created digitally, shipments are all made within the country you order from, so you don’t have to pay for overseas shipping. AI Art Shop is based in the UK and ships free to the US and UK.
Selection of Art
Both of these companies offer a large and ever-changing selection of digital art. Since preferences are so subjective, you really need to browse their galleries to decide what you prefer.
As noted, both AI Art Shop and Art AI offer affordable digital art, with AI Art Shop averaging the lowest prices.
What is the Future of Digital Art?
While digital art has existed for a while, it has only gotten widely popular in the last few years. We’re now seeing a surge of media attention focused on AI-generated art. At the same time, artists have easy access to advanced tools to help them create all kinds of digital art. These trends assure that the marketplace for such creations will continue to expand. Here are some developments we are likely to see in the coming months and years.
- More art will be created using AI. As this technology advances, more platforms will emerge where you can create, buy, and sell such art.
- AI-Generated art will be used more widely for commercial purposes. As we saw, the two websites above mainly sell art for personal use. However, with so much demand for commercial art (websites, sales pages, promotional products, etc.), it should gradually get easier to obtain commercial licenses.
- Platforms will most likely emerge that allow anyone to create their own AI-Generated art. Just as you can use services such as Canva and Adobe have tools to make logos, flyers, web pages, and other designs, so you’ll soon be able to create sophisticated types of art using AI.
- The value of AI-Generated art will vary greatly, just as it does for traditional art, which you can buy for a few dollars or many millions.
If you want to learn more about this emerging field, it’s a good idea to explore and get familiar with the terrain. Both Art AI Gallery and AI Art Shop are good places to begin. You can browse both of these sites and see the kind of art that’s being sold. To keep up with the latest developments in AI-generated art, you may want to stay current with both of these sites. They both have blogs as well as social media accounts. This will allow you to browse the latest works, as well as any new emerging trends in this exciting field. You might also want to shop and buy a few affordable works to start with.